Washington State Supports DACA Students
- Seattle Office of Immigration and Refugee Affairs: Free Workshops Providing Legal Assistance and Information
YES. At Highline, all students are welcome. As long as you are at least 18 years old, or have completed high school, you are eligible for admission to Highline.
This law allows eligible undocumented students to pay resident tuition at state colleges and universities in Washington. You may be eligible if you:
- Completed high school in Washington (diploma or GED), AND
- Were in Washington 3 years before you completed high school and have been here since you completed, AND
- Intend to apply to be a US Permanent Resident when possible and to prepare for citizenship in the meantime, AND
- Print, complete and submit an Affidavit to the Admissions department.
Students who are undocumented do not qualify for federal student aid. However, Washington’s Real Hope Act expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students. If you are eligible, complete the WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) to be considered for State Need Grant. All typical Financial Aid deadlines apply.
Not all DACA students are eligible for the Affidavit; however, DACA students can establish residency and can receive college-bound funding. DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) is an official federal status. DACA involves filing fees, requires renewal and is not a path to citizenship. DACA recipients may be eligible for employment.
- Washington state Resident Tuition eligibility
- US Department of Education Resource Guide for Supporting Undocumented Youth
- Gum-Lai Ross, Admissions Adviser, Residency for Tuition Purposes
- Ekk Sisavatdy, AANAPISI, Bilingual Lao/English, Conversational Thai
- Oussama (Sam) Alkhalili, Business Technology, Bilingual Arabic/English
- Joe Aguilar, Academic Advising
- Lorraine Odom, Associate Dean for Enrollment Services
- Arline Garcia, World Languages Coordinator/Transfer Advising, Bilingual Spanish/English
If you have any questions or need assistance with navigating Highline, please contact any of the following.